[Corrected 4/19/10, 1:00 pm. VentiRx Pharmaceuticals CEO Michael Kamdar says the company raised $25 million, not $12.5 million. See below.] The folks who count every leaf that falls off the money tree for venture-backed startups have graciously provided a breakout of the 10 biggest VC deals in San Diego so far this year. This list was drawn primarily from the MoneyTree Report, which is prepared by the National Venture Capital Association, PricewaterhouseCoopers, and Thomson Reuters. We’ve supplemented the list with information from the archives of Xconomy San Diego—since we wrote stories about all of these deals—as well as regional data provided by Dow Jones VentureSource.
While the MoneyTree survey counted $222 million invested in 29 deals in the San Diego area, it’s still a relatively small sum for this region. I’ve got more on that, but first, here’s our list of the top 10 deals from the first quarter:
1. Tandem Diabetes Care (San Diego), $31 million, second tranche of Series C.
2. PatientSafe Solutions (San Diego) $30 million, undisclosed round.
3. Tioga Pharmaceuticals (San Diego) $18 million, undisclosed round.
4. Sotera Wireless (San Diego) $17.45 million, undisclosed round.
5. Genomatica (San Diego) $15 million, Series C.
6. Elevation Pharmaceuticals (San Diego) $14.96 million, Series A.
7. EMN8 (San Diego) $14.46 million, undisclosed round.
8. VentiRx Pharmaceuticals (San Diego and Seattle) $25 million, extended Series A.
9. Avaak (San Diego) $10 million, Series B.
10. AwarePoint (San Diego) $10 million, Series E.
The top 10 deals on the list account for $173.35 million, or roughly 78 percent, of the $222.5 million that venture investors sunk into 29 deals in the San Diego area during the first quarter of 2010, according to … Next Page »