Top Five Robotics “Hits” of the 2000s
Robotics, in the noughties (I have rank ordered them in importance):
1. Thousands of remotely piloted and autonomous aircraft in the U.S. military.
2. Thousands of supervisory controlled ground robots in the U.S. military.
3. Millions of autonomous home cleaning robots in people’s houses.
4. Autonomous vehicles in the two DARPA grand challenge demonstrations.
5. Deployed automated logistics robots in fulfillment centers.
[Editor's Note: As the decade comes to an end, we've asked Xconomists and other technology leaders around the country to identify the top innovations they've seen in their fields the past 10 years, or predict the top disruptive technologies that will impact the next decade.]